British values are an intrinsic part of Summerfields Nursery. We promote them in the following ways:
- We provide opportunities for children to vote for activity choices, for example, choosing a theme for their role-play, choosing a book for story time or a song for song time by a show of hands.
- We encourage children to know their views count and their opinions are important, for example by following the children’s interests when choosing topics and activities.
- We work together to create an environment where it is ‘safe’ to make mistakes, share thoughts and ideas, and to explore different options, e.g. by promoting forgiveness after an argument.
The Rule of Law
- We involve children in the process of making any of our nursery’s ‘Golden Rules’
- We support children to learn the difference between right and wrong.
- We discuss why we have our ‘Golden Rules’ and how they should be upheld fairly, to keep everyone safe and happy.
- We provide opportunities to take on risks, challenges and responsibilities through play.
- We encourage children to explore and discuss their thoughts, feelings and ideas with their keywokers and those they trust.
- We provide opportunities for children to follow and develop their own interests and ideas.
- We encourage children to ask questions and trust that their opinions and ideas will be respected and valued.
Mutual Respect and Tolerance of Different Faiths and Beliefs
- We encourage children to learn about the world around them – both locally and further afield, for example, through local trips, cultural days and national celebrations.
- We work together to create an environment that includes, values and promotes different faiths, cultures, views and races.
- We encourage the children to share their experiences and to recognise similarities and differences between themselves and others.